|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Kongreso / Congress
|Structure of parliament
|Chamber name (generic / translated)
||Kapulungan Ng Mga Kinatawan / House of Representatives
|Related chamber (for bicameral parliaments)
Senado / Senate
||22 July 1985
Last amendment: 23/02/1995
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 291
||- 234 single-member constituencies for majority vote
- one nationwide constituency for proportional representation vote
Each elector casts two votes: one for a candidate and the other for a party.
- 234 seats filled by single member plurality systems ("first past the post")
- 57 seats filled by party lists nominees proposed by indigenous, but non religious, minority groups. Parties must pass a 2% vote threshold to gain parliamentary representation. A maximum of three seats is awarded to each party.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through by elections.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Philippine citizenship
- residence in the country for at least one year and in home constituency for at least six months immediately preceding election day
- disqualifications: insanity, adjudged incompetence, conviction for crime involving disloyalty to government or against national security
- age: 25 years
- Philippine citizenship by birth
- residence in district for at least one year immediately preceding the poll
- ineligibility: bribery of voters or election officials, terrorist action, exceeding campaign expenses ceiling, prohibited financial dealings
||- any other office or employment in the Government, or any subdivision, agency, or instrumentality thereof, including government-owned or controlled corporations or their subsidiaries
- legal counsel (in courts, electoral tribunals or quasi-judicial and other administrative bodies)
- government contractor
||- candidatures by parties or independents, must be submitted at least 45 days before polling to the provincial election supervisor concerned
- under the party-list system, each party must submit a list of at least five nominees