|Parliament name (generic / translated)
||Vouli Ton Ellinon / Hellenic Parliament
|Structure of parliament
||11 February 2004
Last updated: 15 March 2012 Presidential Decree (26/2012)
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 300
||- 56 constituencies for 288 seats (48 multi-member constituencies and eight single-member constituencies)
- one multi-member nationwide constituency for 12 seats
Party list system using an open list*.
*In accordance with article 72, paragraph 11 of Presidential Decree 26/2012 (electoral law), if general elections are held within 18 months of the previous elections, the provisions of Presidential Decree 152/1985 regarding the allocation of seats by closed list are reinstated and applied.
- Parties must obtain at least 3 per cent of the votes cast to obtain parliamentary representation.
- 250 seats are distributed in accordance with the Hagenbach-Bischoff system.
- The party obtaining the highest number of valid votes is entitled to 50 seats, allocated to candidates on its party list.
- Under certain circumstances, a majority vote is used to allocate further remaining seats at the national level;
- A simple majority vote is used in eight single-member constituencies.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled by the "next-in-line" candidate on the same party list.
Voting is compulsory until the age of 70. Failure to vote is punishable by a prison sentence of between one month and one year, and loss of the offender's job (however, no one has ever been prosecuted).
||- 18 years
- Greek citizenship
- full possession of civil rights
Disqualifications: these apply to citizens who are (i) convicted of particular offences listed in the civilian or military criminal code, (ii) subject to other prohibitions provided for in law; (iii) wards of court.
- age: 25 years or over
- Greek citizenship
||The main categories are:
- members of the armed forces and security service
- certain public officials or holders of public office
- directors of parastatal agencies or organizations
The Constitution provides a full list of ineligibilities (Article 56) and incompatibilities (Article 57).
||- individual candidates or members of a political party
- presentation on an independent basis or under a party label, supported by at least 12 voters, or self-nominated.
- non-reimbursable deposit of 146.74 euros