|Structure of parliament
||16 May 1994
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 193
||193 single-member constituencies.
Simple majority system, with each elector casting one vote.
Vacancies arising between general elections are filled through a by-election.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years
- Malawian citizenship (or non-citizens who have been ordinarily resident in Malawi for seven years)
- ordinary residence in a constituency or birth, employment or business there
- Malawians living abroad cannot vote.
- disqualifications: mental incompetence, death sentence
- age: 21 years
- Malawian citizenship
- ability to speak and read the English language well enough to take an active part in the proceedings of Parliament
- ineligibility: allegiance to a foreign State, conviction for a crime involving dishonesty or moral turpitude, undischarged bankruptcy
||- public office
- membership of the armed forces or police