|Structure of parliament
||30 December 1994
|Mode of designation
||directly elected 14
||- 10 single-member constituencies
- 4 states (Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae) for "at-large" Senators
- simple majority in single-member constituencies
- proportional representation for the four "at-large" Senators
The federal President and Vice-President are elected by the Congress from among the four Senators-at-large; the offices rotate among the four states.
Vacancies arising between general elections are normally filled through by-elections, except in the case of an unexpired term of less than one year, when appointment takes place.
Voting is not compulsory.
||- age: 18 years old
- Micronesian citizenship
- minimum period of local residence
- disqualifications: criminal conviction, insanity
||- age: 30 years old by election day
- Micronesian citizenship for a minimum of 15 years
- residence in State from which elected for at least five years
- Persons under a judgement of mental incompetence or insanity
- Persons convicted of a felony by a State or National Court of the Federated States of Micronesia or its predecessor Government of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
||- any other public office or employment
- any activity which conflicts with proper discharge of legislative duties
||- Deposit of a filing fee of US $100 at the Treasury of the Federated States of Micronesia
- Nomination by 25 registered voters from the election district in which the candidate is running.