Time: 15:00-16:00 CEST
The Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) and the Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-Operation (GPEDC) are co-organizing a webinar on the role of parliamentarians in effective development co-operation. The IPU, the voice of parliaments in the GPEDC Steering Committee, recently launched, jointly with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), a set of guidelines for enhancing the engagement and contribution of parliaments to effective development co-operation. As part of the GPEDC’s Global Webinar Series, this webinar will build on the topics raised in the guidelines by bringing together parliamentarians and effective development co-operation experts to discuss options for advancing parliamentary action on this topic.
The webinar will focus on the role of parliamentarians as valuable partners in ensuring that accountable, inclusive, participatory and transparent governance effectively delivers and utilizes development co-operation. The webinar will aim to provide parliamentarians with an understanding of what development co-operation is and how it works, as well as ideas on how parliaments can promote more effective and accountable use of resources. It will also provide an opportunity for parliamentarians to discuss the challenges and opportunities they face in fully exercising their legislative, budgetary and oversight functions around how development co-operation resources are spent.
- Ms. Brigid Annisette-George, Speaker of the House, Member of Parliament, Trinidad and Tobago
- Ms. Petra Bayr, Member of the National Council, Austria
- Mr. Ricardo Godinho Gomes, Chief Technical Advisor for Governance Programmes, UN Joint Office in Cabo Verde
- Mr. Alphonse Nombre, Former Member of Parliament, Burkina Faso
- Ms. Biljana Ledenican, Former Portfolio Manager for Parliamentary Development, UNDP Serbia
- Ms. Sophie Guruli, Project Manager of Consolidating Parliamentary Democracy, UNDP Georgia
- Mr. Alessandro Motter, Senior Advisor, Economic and Social Affairs, Office of the Permanent Observer of the IPU to the United Nations
The 60-minute webinar will be hosted on Zoom. It will be held in English with simultaneous interpretation in French.
The series is open to all parliamentarians and parliamentary staff, and is of particular relevance to those working on development co-operation, sustainable development and budgeting.