We offer internships to selected undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students who are pursuing a course of study or work in fields related to our work.
The opportunity allows interns to gain practical work experience. It increases their understanding of relevant issues at the international level by being involved directly in the work of our Secretariat and the application of our principles, programmes and strategies.
Interns gain an understanding of how we operate and work under the supervision of a senior staff member. The backgrounds of interns are matched with our needs.
Applicants can be of any nationality, and should meet the following requirements and qualifications:
- University degree or undergraduate studies
- Degrees in disciplines considered relevant to our work, eg international law, economics, political science, social sciences
- Fluency both oral and written, in at least one of our official languages (English or French) and a working knowledge of a second language. Additional languages are an asset.
- Ability to adapt to an international, multicultural, multilingual environment
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work fairly independently or as part of a team
- Initiative and flexibility
- Any past work experience and knowledge of IT-related work would be an advantage
Conditions and expenses
Interns who are not supported by a university, government or other institution will receive a stipend to cover basic subsistence costs. In Geneva, this will amount to SFr. 1,500 per month.
Interns or their sponsoring institutions are responsible for the cost and organization of travel to and from Geneva, and obtaining passports, visas and any other documents necessary for entrance into Switzerland.
They are also responsible for procuring and maintaining insurance. IPU accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship. Documents showing that they have the necessary cover should be provided by each person on their first day of internship.
Interns must also find and arrange their own accommodation and are responsible for their living expenses while working with us.