Lessons from the COVID-19 pandemic: Parliamentary action to reduce risks, strengthen emergency preparedness and increase resilience
Watch the video
Read the report
Read the news piece
In the context of the IPU campaign Parliaments in time of a pandemic the IPU is partnering with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) in the organization of a series of webinars for parliamentarians and parliamentary staff.
The first such webinar will focus on COVID-19 pandemic preparedness and response to provide parliamentarians and parliamentary staff with an overview of the current status of the pandemic and its cascading risks and consequences for a country, including the impacts beyond the health sector. The webinar will also draw lessons learnt and best practices from this emergency to reflect on how to ensure enhanced disaster risk management including preventive measures and preparedness for effective response to pandemics in the future.
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General
- Mr. Martin Chungong, IPU Secretary General
- Ms. Mami Mizutori, Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and Head of UNDRR
- Dr. Michael Ryan, Executive Director, WHO Health Emergencies Programme,
- Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO COVID-19 Technical Lead
- Ms. Petra Bayr, Member of Parliament, Austria; Member of the IPU Advisory Group on Health
Register here: https://bit.ly/3brQXkV
Questions can be submitted in advance through this form: https://forms.gle/vrmAWV8oASwfPfU76