IPU event in the lead-up to the UN75 Summit
10–11 a.m. (New York)
This event will highlight the key messages of the Declaration of the Fifth World Conference of Speakers of Parliament (5WCSP) hosted virtually by the IPU and the Parliament of Austria on 19 and 20 August 2020.
The Speakers’ Declaration on parliamentary leadership for more effective multilateralism that delivers peace and sustainable development for the people and planet creates common ground among parliaments to tackle current global challenges in a spirit of cooperation and solidarity. It further provides a parliamentary perspective on multilateralism within the context of the growing relationship between the United Nations, parliaments and the IPU over the past twenty years, and as reflected in UNGA resolution A/74/L.85 adopted on 4 September.
In the context of ongoing UN reforms, how can parliaments and the IPU bring the voices of the people they represent into UN decision-making processes and contribute to a stronger UN-led multilateral system? How can the UN and the IPU work together more effectively to implement international commitments on peacebuilding, sustainable development, democracy and human rights?
- Ms. Gabriela Cuevas Barron, President of the IPU
- H.E. Mr. Volkan Bozkir, President of the General Assembly, 75th Session
- Hon. Mr. Jacob Mudenda, Speaker of the National Assembly of Zimbabwe; Member, 5WCSP Preparatory Committee
- H.E. Mr. Alexander Marschik, Permanent Representative of Austria, host country of the Speakers’ Conference
- H.E. Ms. Alya Ahmed Saif Al-Thani, Permanent Representative of Qatar
- H.E. Mr. Munir Akram, Permanent Representative of Pakistan, President of ECOSOC
For more information, contact the IPU Observer Office at the United Nations, email@example.com.