We are the global organization of national parliaments.
We currently have 178 Member Parliaments and are working for universal membership. Our Members range from huge nations like China, India and Indonesia, to the tiny States of Cape Verde, San Marino and Palau. More than 6.5 billion of the world’s 7 billion people live in countries whose parliaments are our Members.
Our Organization, created by parliamentarians in 1889, has grown into a vibrant global entity committed to promoting democracy, equality, human rights, development and peace. Our Members work together for positive change, both in their own countries and at international level.
Our Member Parliaments come in all shapes and sizes, with a rich history of traditions and cultures. All share a commitment to the core remit of the Organization. All believe we are made stronger by working together.
All parliaments are welcome to join us if they are lawfully established national bodies in States or aspirational States recognized by the UN. On rare occasions, Members are suspended due to the unconstitutional dissolution of parliament or for the non-payment of assessed contributions. Decisions on admitting, readmitting and suspending Members are taken by our Governing Council.
We also have 12 Associate Members—mostly parliaments drawn from groups of nations, or similar bodies. They include the Arab Parliament, European Parliament and other parliamentary organizations from Africa and Latin America.
- Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan
- Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi
- Cabo Verde, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic
- Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Estonia, Ethiopia
- Fiji, Finland, France
- Gabon, the Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau
- Haiti, Honduras, Hungary
- Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy
- Japan, Jordan
- Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
- Lao People's Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar
- Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway
- Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal
- Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda
- Saint Lucia, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic
- Tajikistan, Thailand, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu
- Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Uzbekistan
- Vanuatu, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Viet Nam
- Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Andean Parliament (link is external)
- Arab Parliament
- Central American Parliament (link is external) (PARLACEN)
- East African Legislative Assembly (link is external) (EALA)
- European Parliament (link is external) (EP)
- Interparliamentary Assembly of Member Nations of the Commonwealth of Independent States (link is external)
- Inter-Parliamentary Committee of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU)
- Latin American Parliament (link is external)
- Parliament of the Central African Economic and Monetary Community (CEMAC)
- Parliament of the Economic Community of West African States (link is external) (ECOWAS)
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (link is external) (PACE)
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation (PABSEC)